8/28/07

Post Panthers Newsletter Article

The Amen Corner
Last weekend Anne and I had a rare opportunity to go see the Carolina Panthers play. It was a grand experience. The field was carefully manicured and decorated. The view from our seats was amazing. We were with two of our very best friends. There was a lot of pageantry- cannons were fired, music was played, and mascots roamed about the stadium. The aroma of popcorn, hot dogs, and funnel cakes filled the air. People were dressed in all kinds of costumes. Some had painted their faces and dyed their hair for the occasion. The players (a collection of the largest, fastest, and most gifted athletes I've ever seen) played the game with reckless abandon. We had an amazing experience and I felt blessed to be a part of it. And the Panthers lost.

When the game was over, I got the impression that many of the Panther fans wished they hadn't come. The fellow who drove us back to the hotel said he'd much rather watch a game on TV than see one in person. Having done both, I can understand his views a little. After all, it was a hot night, the seat wasn't comfortable, and I had to wait in line to get something to eat. The comforts of home include air conditioning, a recliner, and ready-made snacks with no waiting. But if I hadn't gone to the game I would have missed everything that made the evening enjoyable.

Hebrews 10:25 admonishes us not to neglect assembling together for worship and fellowship. People often ask if one can be a Christian without going to church. I can't ever answer that to people's satisfaction. Maybe that's because I say "Even if you could, you shouldn't." Our society has become so consumer-based that we often think we deserve to have everything be just like we want it to be. We can look at church the same way if we are not careful. Church requires something of each of us. Simply put, worship is an activity, not a spectator sport. We are all supposed to be involved in worship. Worship is not about music, preaching, or how cute the little kids are. Worship is about God, and God alone deserves adoration and praise. We should give God our best effort in a spirit of thanksgiving and gratitude. As Christians, we need to seek to serve the Lord instead of wondering how the church is going to entertain us.

As for last weekend, it was great. I remembered how much I love my wife. I grew closer to a couple of dear friends. We had good times of food, fellowship, and laughter. We made some precious memories. True, the game was not very good...but the experience was priceless. I told one lady "You know, a bad day at a ball game beats a good day of doing almost anything else!" In the same way, if we put our hearts in it, worship can never be bad.

In Christ,
Reverend Ben